Melanie, Chris, and Zack debate Frank Hoffman’s recent article in War on the Rocks about the broader implications of Russia’s war in Ukraine. They discuss whether defensive systems are dominant and how long Russia will take to recapitalize its forces, as well as what this means for future conflicts and U.S. posture globally. Chris warns that the United States is not learning from past conflicts, Melanie welcomes continued support for Hong Kongers, and Zack laments Turkey’s renewed opposition to Sweden’s entry into NATO.
- Frank Hoffman, “American Defense Priorities After Ukraine,” War on the Rocks, January 2, 2023.
- Col. Maximillian K. Bremer and Kelly A. Grieco, “Assumption Testing: Airpower is inherently offensive,” Stimson Center, January 25, 2023
- Col. Maximillian Bremer and Kelly Grieco, “Air defense upgrades, not F-16s, are a winning strategy for Ukraine,” Defense News, January 25, 2023
- Joseph Stieb, “Confronting the Iraq War: Melvyn Leffler, George Bush and the Problem of Trusting Your Sources,” War on the Rocks, January 30, 2023
- Ian Johnson, “A Professor Who Challenges the Washington Consensus on China,” The New Yorker, December 13, 2022
- “Is This How a Cold War With China Begins?” The Ezra Klein Show, The New York Times, January 27, 2023
- “The End of the End History? Global Implications of the War in Ukraine,” Panel Discussion, Stimson Center, February 13, 2023
- Andrew Restuccia and Charles Hutzler “Biden Extends Protections for Hong Kong Residents in U.S.”, Wall Street Journal, January 26, 2023.
- David J. Lynch and Karen DeYoung, “U.S. to Launch Talks on Partnership with 11 Western Hemisphere Nations,” Washington Post, January 27, 2023.
- Andreas Kluth, “Forget ‘Autonomy’: Europe Needs the US as Much as Ever,” Washington Post, January 29, 2023.
- David Johnson, “Ending the Ideology of the Offense, Part II,” War on the Rocks, August 25, 2023.
- Seth Jones, “Empty Bins in a Wartime Environment: The Challenge of the U.S. Industrial Base,” Center for Strategic and International Studies, January 23, 2023.
- “Erdogan says Turkey may block Sweden’s NATO membership bid,” BBC News, January 30, 2023.
- Ellen Nakashima and Rebecca Tan, “U.S. military poised to secure new access to key Philippine bases,” Washington Post, January 30, 2023.
Source : https://warontherocks.com/2023/02/learning-lessons-from-ukraine-is-defense-dominant/